Health & Dental Plan FAQ’s


Below is a list of the commonly asked questions student have regarding their Student Health & Dental Plan.

To be eligible, you must be enrolled in an applicable full-time program of 16 weeks or longer. It is your responsibility to know when your coverage starts and ends. You are able to check this at under your registration fees. It is also mandatory for you to have basic medical coverage such as a BC Care Card (MSP/Services Card/Personal Health Number), Student Guard (Guard Me) or a comparable coverage for your country or province of origin.

MSP stands for Medical Services Plan of British Columbia. After receiving your Personal Health Number (Services Card/Care Card), you qualify for basic medical coverage that includes doctor’s appointments, medical tests, hospital stays, etc. It is your responsibility to be in good standing with your MSP as the BCITSA Student Health Plan does not cover this expense for you.

Fair Pharmacare is a prescription assistance program set up by the BC Government to help with the cost of prescriptions. By signing up, you are getting better prescription coverage and are ultimately helping decrease the cost of the plan.

To learn more visit the BC Ministry of Health Pharmacare Page

YES! You are covered under the plan as long as you fill the eligibility criteria and have basic medical coverage. If you don’t have basic coverage, you can purchase Student Guard (Guard Me) through the International Student Office and/or sign up for MSP within three (3) months of moving to BC. To pick up your benefits card, please show your study permit with your basic medical insurance at the BCITSA Health & Dental Office.

Part-time students and students in full-time programs less than 16 weeks are not eligible for the BCITSA Health & Dental Plan. If you enrol in a full-time applicable program in the future, you will automatically be on the plan when you are assessed in your registration fees.

To purchase interim optional coverage, please refer to the following link:

The plan covers:

  • Prescription drugs;
  • Dental coverage (up to $750 per benefit year);
  • Optical (including $150 towards eyeglasses or contact lenses every 24 months);
  • Paramedical Practitioners (Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Psychologist, and more);
  • Travel Insurance;
  • Ambulance Coverage;

For a complete list of covered expenses and amounts click here
To download the Travel Insurance booklet, click here

Our insurance provider is Great West Life, who will receive and process your claims

IMPORTANTThere is an 8 week validation period from the start date of your program at BCIT where you will not be able to submit claims. Hold onto the original copies of your receipts and submit them after the validation period has finished to Great West Life

IT IS EASY TO MAKE A CLAIM! You can submit electronically to our provider Great West Life by going through OR you can download the hard copy form from the same web address

There is even a mobile app to make claims with Great West Life GroupNet! GroupNet is free to download on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry devices.

Click the logos below to be taken to the relevant app store

To register for your electronic claims you will need the following:

Your Plan Number is 330828
Your policy number is your BCIT Student ID; substitute the letter “A” with a zero.

You can use the myBenefits card at any pharmacy or dental office that uses electronic billing and your percentage of reimbursement will be taken off at the source. The Extended Health and Optical coverage generally do not use the benefit card and you usually have to pay upfront for these services and go through a receipt process, however, always ask if you can use your card.

The myBenefits card is an important piece of identification that will ease access to your benefits. All eligible students can complete the myBenefits card registration form. This multi-purpose card provides your policy information for submission of claims at both the Pharmacy and the Dental Office.

To obtain your myBenefits card you must first register for BC Fair Pharmacare.

You have several options for applying for your Benefits Card. Once you establish that you are eligible, download the form here or pick it up at the BCITSA Health & Dental Office in SE2 Room 286 (BCIT Student Association Centre) and:

  1. Scan & email it to
  2. Drop into the BCITSA Health & Dental office in SE2-2nd floor Room 286 (Student Association Centre) 3700 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, BC with, with your picture ID and the completed form
  3. You can also apply online here.

Students are also able to pick up their myBenefits card at any time during their benefit year. It takes up to 48 hours to process a benefits card application in person, by email or online. myBenefits card for mail out is subject to Canada Post time frames.

NOTE: You will need to register for ‘BC Fair Pharmacare’ to receive your Benefits Card. To find out more, visit or phone 1.800.663.7100 for assistance.

You have 30 days from the start date of your program, once per year, to add your spouse and/or dependents to the BCITSA Student Health & Dental Plan (or within 30 days of loss of comparable coverage at any time during your benefit year).

After this 30-day time frame, “Add-Ons” cannot be processed.

You will require this form to add-on family and/or dependents:
Student Benefits Family Add-On & Receipt


Family Add-on Fee Structure

They are not automatically on the plan but you can add them as long as you have been living with them for 12 months or longer.

See above: Is my family covered under the BCITSA Student Health & Dental Plan?” in the FAQ’s for more details on adding family members.

Family members(limited to spouse & dependents) can be added onto your Health & Dental Plan!

IMPORTANT – You only have 30 days from the start date of your program to add family members to your policy, so don’t be late!

Visit to download the family add-on form and take it to the BCITSA Health & Dental office in SE2.

We accept debit, cash or cheque payments in person at the BCITSA Health & Dental office in SE2.

You can also complete and pay for this process online by credit card. Complete the ‘Family Add-on’ form under the ‘Opt-out/Enroll’ banner. Once this form is submitted you will receive a confirmation email with a link to pay online.

If you have previously opted out of the plan, you can opt-in within 30 days of your program start date every year. You may also opt-in within 30 days of losing your comparable other coverage.

To Opt-In, fill out this form.

Then bring the form to the BCITSA Student Health & Dental plan office in SE2 Room 286 in the Student Association Centre. Please come by the office or email us at ahead of time for a quote on the cost of opting back in and information on payment methods.

You can also complete and pay for this process online. Complete the ‘individual enrollment’ form under the ‘Opt-out/Enroll’ banner. Once this form is submitted you will receive a confirmation email with a link to pay online.

You can either coordinate between both of your plans for better coverage (100% in some cases) or opt-out of the plan.

Students have TWO options available for opting-out – once per year – within 30 days from their program start date.

  1. Download the Student Benefits Waiver Form or pick it up at the BCITSA Health & Dental office

Drop into the BCITSA Health & Dental plan office – located in Room 286 – Student Association Centre, SE2 2nd floor, 3700 Willingdon Ave, Burnaby, BC – submit with their BCIT ID, letter of acceptance or picture ID and proof of comparable other coverage in Extended Health & Dental.

  1. Fill out the online form

IMPORTANT: Students have 30 days from the start of their program, once per year, to opt-out of the BCITSA Student Health & Dental plan, with a completed Waiver/Opt-out form and one of the following proofs of comparable other coverage:

Extended Health & Dental benefits coverage

Photocopy of Extended Health & Dental benefits coverage

Letter from insurance provider OR employer stating Extended Health & Dental coverage with policy numbers.

If you do not have comparable coverage through another provider, you cannot opt-out. If you already have coverage through your parents, spouse, or work, you CAN opt-out.

Having MSP does not count as comparable coverage.

Stop by SE2 Room 286 (Student Association Centre) with your picture ID (BCIT ID, Passport, BC ID, or Drivers License) or email us at with your full name, BCIT ID number, date of birth and question(s).

If you have a generic question about the plan (account-specific questions cannot be answered over the phone for privacy reasons), you can also call the BCITSA Student Health & Dental plan office at 604.456.8056.

If you still have questions after reading through this list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) please contact the Student Health & Dental plan directly at:

Kelsey Leung
Health & Dental Plan Administrator
Email: (for specific enquiries regarding your personal coverage)
Phone: 604.456.8056 (for general questions)