The BCITSA is currently seeking out students with a passion for democracy and fair play to sit on the Election Committee. Members of the committee are responsible for ensuring that elections are carried out on a level playing field, with all candidates following the rules. Successful applicants cannot run for election to an Executive position, but will gain valuable experience through the process. They will receive assistance from BCITSA staff to help them carry out their duties, and will coordinate with the Elections Administrator to ensure the smooth running of elections.
Successful applicants will be consensus-oriented, and will receive a $150 honorarium for their term, which runs until the end of May 2018. In addition, they will receive an additional honorarium of $150 for administering the Spring Executive Elections. More information about the role can be found in the Bylaw excerpt below. Interested applicants can send their CV and a brief statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Excerpt from BCITSA Bylaw 11, adopted by Special Resolution on 29 February 2016.
- Election Committee:
- The Election Committee shall be composed of
- The Chief Returning Officer
- Two (2) Deputy Returning Officers
- Members of the Election Committee shall
- Not be a current Student Executive or member of Council.
- Not have been a Student Executive or member of Council in the 12 months prior to their appointment.
- Not be eligible to stand for election as a Student Executive
- Be appointed for a term from October 1st to May 31st.
- The Election Committee shall be responsible for the interpretation of the Elections bylaw and of the electoral process. All findings of fact made by the committee shall be final, save for where such finding is patently unreasonable, such that no reasonable decision-maker could have made such a finding.
- The Elections Committee will rule on questions of candidate eligibility and will hear complaints filed during the election period.
- The Elections Committee may consult on administrative matters with
- The Human Resources Generalist, and/or
- The Vice-President, Student Affairs, provided that he is not himself a candidate for election.
- The Elections committee shall be advised on matters of natural justice by a member of the Advocacy staff appointed by the Executive Director.
- Members of the Election Committee shall attend a training session organized by the BCITSA Executive Director or her designee.
- The Election Committee shall provide Council with a written report upon the conclusion of an election, including the results of all rulings and decisions made by either the Election Committee or the Appeals Committee, with the report to be preserved by the Association.
- The Election Committee shall reach decisions by consensus.
- Notwithstanding 4(i) above, where it is the opinion of the Advocacy staff member appointed under 4(f) above that there is no reasonable likelihood of reaching consensus, a decision shall be taken by majority vote.
- Decisions of the Election Committee shall be made having regard to these bylaws, principles of natural justice, and analogous decisions of previous Election Committees and Appeal Committees.
- Members of the Election Committee shall receive an honorarium for their term, and a further stipend for each election or by-election they administer.
- The amounts of remuneration permitted above shall be fixed by Council and reviewed from time to time.
- Any duties of the Elections Committee that fall outside of the term of the Committee under (b)(iv) above shall be carried out by the President and Vice President, Student Affairs in conjunction with the Executive Director, at their discretion.
Elections Committee Details