Looking for ways to engage with the BCIT community? Click here to view some of the opportunities available. The BCIT Student Association offers many unique ways for community members and local businesses to engage with the students at BCIT before they enter the workforce. Consider becoming a mentor and help shape the learning experience for a student in your industry.
BCIT Student Association Mentorship
The Mentorship Program is based out of the BCIT Student Association’s Career Services. We are very excited to be able to offer students at BCIT the opportunity to be mentored by professionals in Metro Vancouver to gain business insight and hone the soft skills that will ultimately lead to their professional success. Through the Mentorship Program, we offer two streams: Career Mentorship and Entrepreneurial Mentorship.
Share their experience in career development and work-life balance and help their mentee gain a better understanding of employer expectations, job requirements, and accessing the hidden job market. Career mentors are typically matched with final year students from a related field.
Share their business development experience and provide guidance and support to their mentee as the mentee develops their entrepreneurial skills and knowledge. Entrepreneurial mentors are typically matched with students/alumni that are in the idea phase or have a business that is no longer than two years old. If you are interested in the Entrepreneurial Mentorship Program please go to their website for more information https://www.bcitsa.ca/beaboss/
Rewards and Benefits of Being a Mentor
- An opportunity to make a difference in a mentee’s life by sharing your career experience, passion and career & business knowledge
- Free workshops and events for mentors and mentees including a year-end recognition
- Develop and practice a more personal style of leadership
- Professional development opportunities to further advance your career and personal skills
- Training will be provided to all participants, along with on-going support, consultation and coaching from program staff.
- The chance to have a fun and rewarding experience
Ways of Participating
- One-to-one mentorship matches, lasting 6 months. We do two intakes per year – one in November and the other in February
- Act as a “Networking Host” at our industry events to provide students with the chance to practice their networking skills at program workshops and events
- Be a workshop facilitator or presenter and share your knowledge with a larger group of students and fellow mentors
- Commit to building a one-to-one professionally-focused relationship with a mentee for six months (minimum time commitment 2 hours per month, with one of those hours being in person)
- Be a role model, source of inspiration and resource person
- At least 1 year of employment in your current industry
- Provide advice and share experience on career development and work-life balance
- Share career information to help your mentee gain a better understanding of employer expectations, job requirements, the hidden job market
How to Apply
All mentors are required to submit an online application form. If you are interested, please complete the online application. You will also need to submit a resume and include two references. For more information or have any questions please contact our program coordinator by phone 604.432.8974, email email@example.com.